History of SCBC
- October 1, 1953
Leon County Blood Bank
opens its doors on East Gaines Street with four full-time and two part-time staff. Staff
performed all collection, testing, crossmatching and record keeping. Blood is supplied to
Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. Prior to this time, blood for patients was collected by
TMH, until a group of concerned citizens in the medical and business community decided a
separate blood bank would better meet patient's needs.
Moved to new location at 1240 Hodges
Drive, Behind TMH. The move was necessitated by increasing use of police cars to race
blood across town for emergency transfusions.
Employment of the first Executive Director, Dale Malloy.
Established a crossmatch laboratory at
Established a crossmatch laboratory at Tallahassee
Community Hospital. Expanded supply agreements to include hospitals in Calhoun, Liberty,
Gadsden, Madison, and Taylor Counties. Staff now at 60.
Jeanne Dariotis replaces Dale Malloy as Executive
Implemented a computer system that tracks donors and blood
Expanded supply area to the Archbold system in Georgia,
includes Thomas, Brooks, Grady and Mitchell counties.
Broke ground for new facility at 1731 Riggins Road,
Tallahassee. Opened branch in Thomasville, GA on Pinetree and Remington.
Moved into new Tallahassee facility, going from 5,000
square feet to over 20,000. Began supplying blood to Coffee Regional Medical Center in
Record number of donors seen: 22,258, collected 19,862
units of blood.
Expanded supply area to Bainbridge Memorial Hospital in
Decatur county Georgia.
Expanded service area to
Jackson Hospital in Marianna, Florida.